That's different...but it's okay
This phrase has come to mind many times in the past nine days. When I was in College I did a number of missions trips to China and during the training time we were taught that there would be many things that struck us as strange or weird to our way of thinking. But during cultural awareness seminars we were told to say, "that's different, but it's okay," to help as adjust and accept new ways to do things.
I arrived on Tuesday July 26th to Japan. I have to admit I was not too happy to be here, I truly was wanting to stay in Colorado for a bit longer. I loved it there and had many lovely friends. I did not want to embrace a new culture, learn a new language and go the process of moving yet again. I was willing to accept that this is where God wants me but I was not excited about it.
Wednesday started the fun...well the briefings at least. I put on my uniform and went out to meet the day. My sponsor (like an assigned big brother) picked me up from the hotel and drove me to the building to have the intro briefings for the day. I got the times wrong and so we were an hour early so we went to breakfast. We met a new doctor and his wife (Carrie and Joseph) who were going to the same briefings. So I had someone to talk to during the breaks and a new acquaintance was made. After getting back to the hotel I received calls from my fellow Pros guy (Jim) at the clinic welcoming me and we chatted, He was very nice and welcoming. He invited me to join a group from the clinic to go to Mt. Takao that Friday, how fun.
Thursday was another day a briefings. I met up with Carrie and Joseph and we chatted about the moving process. We went off base for lunch (my first adventure into the culture) to a taco place...I know this is not Japanese at all you may think, but just ordering was an adventure. The tacos were great by the way. My mind was whirling with all the stuff I do not know about Japan, how am I going to survive here, how will I ever find my way around, how will I ever figure out how to do things...? In the evening Jim and his Wife (Debbie) invited me to dinner (ah so nice to have people be so welcoming). We went to sushi...at Hamazushi, it is the largest conveyor belt sushi chain in Japan. It was amazing.

This screen is at the table and you select what you want or you can select from the things coming by on the conveyor belt.
If the dish is just on a plate flat on the conveyor you can take it (like the ones in the middle of the picture), but if it is on an elevated plate (like the one to the far left) it was ordered. When your food you ordered is approaching the screen tells you and you pick it up. So fun.
After this lovely night out with my new friends Jim and Debbie I was begining to feel better about being in Japan. I thought I might like this after all. Thanks Jim and Debbie... you are great!!!

So glad you are meeting people. What an adventure you are on. Thanks for the update. Loved reading it.
ReplyDelete